Sunday, January 23, 2011

Enter The Warmachine

Well, the title (Slightly more grandiose and theatrical than I normally indulge in, I admit) refers to the fact that I picked up a copy of the rules for Warmachine yesterday. I have no minis yet, but I look forward to getting some. I'm currently going with Cryx, though Mercenaries are also appealing, and I have no objections to either Cygnar or Khador. Still, the Cryx have a visual style I like, and I know for a fact that the local gaming store has Asphyxious and Deneghra. Of course, I still may go with the Mercenaries, as I like their looks too, and the FLGS has a bunch of them I can use. Anyway, assuming that I go with Cryx, I'm still wavering between warcasters. Will I choose The Iron Lich, The Pirate Queen, or the Warwitch? Anyway, here's an army list for them, assuming a 100 point Grand Melee:

Warcaster: Iron Lich Asphyxious (+6 Warjack points)

Asphyxious' Battlegroup:

Slayer X 5 (6? I don't remember if I used the extra points or not. I'll get it later. For the time being, this should be a good list for starting off, possibly after a Duel or two, either way, though as I included those Necrotechs, I might want to alter it so that I have a few more Reapers. They seem to the most "anti-warjack" of the Cryx contained in the Prime rulebook.)

Nightwretch X 3

Corruptor X 2

Reaper X 2

Units:

Bane Thrall X 2 (Leader & 9 Grunts)

Bile Thrall X 1 (Leader & 9 Grunts)

Mechanithrall X 1 (Leader & 9 Grunts)

Necrotech & 1 Scrap Thrall X 3

3 Scrap Thralls X 2

Anyway, I think I'm going to try out a Duel first, as that many things would cost pretty heavily. Here's the list:

Warcaster: Warwitch Deneghra (+5)
Cost:
Battlegroup:

1 Defiler---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------5

1 Nightwretch---------------------------------------------------------------------------------4

Units:

1 unit of Bane Thralls (Leader & 5 Grunts)-----------------------------------------------------5

1 unit of Bile Thralls (Leader & 5 Grunts) ------------------------------------------------------5

1 Necrotech w/ Scrap Thrall-------------------------------------------------------------------1

As a note to the mathematically inclined, if you add everything up it should come out to 106 and 20 points. This is because of a special rule in Warmachine - Your warcaster adds points that can only be spent on warjacks. As such I (may - not sure, if I actually spent his points or not) has 106 point cost, and the second 20, because Aphyxious adds six and Deneghra 5.

3 comments:

  1. I didn't realise you were interested in wargaming too. I know very little about Warmachine and Hordes so it'll be good to get your take on things as you go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I just got into it, so it hasn't really been a big topic on here. Hopefully I'll get to play a game of them soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oops. That's the problem with being the blog owner - you don't get a chance to edit. I meant to add that I might want to pick up the FoW book for the Cryx soon.

    ReplyDelete